- You can use it for just about any situation, any goal you’d like to achieve. Remember to frame your goal as something you want (not what you don’t want). If you ask your subconscious mind a negative question it will find you the answer. For example if you ask it “Why can’t I lose weight” it will give you all the reasons why “You can’t lose weight” which then becomes a subconscious command. Rather ask yourself: “How can I lose weight?” and set a reasonable target which includes YOUR goal + strategies for acquiring any skills you need + strategies for sustaining success.
- Word these in the present tense. “I am successfully moving towards my target weight of “x” through healthy eating, learning to cook healthy food and exercising 3-4 times a week. This is my new, healthy, enjoyable lifestyle and I love how I feel when I eat and exercise well.”
- The time investment can be from 60 seconds to thirty minutes or more. You decide when you set the intention to practice. Honour your commitment to yourself – this is part of the formula for success. If you say I will focus on this for 10 minutes, set a timer and practice for 10 minutes.
Step 2: Time for Trance
This induction is a very simple yet effective rapid induction. Read all the instructions first and then proceed with your self-hypnosis. Be sure you are in a safe environment where you will be free of distractions. At the end of your session, you are responsible to make sure you have fully emerged so that you may safely resume your normal activities. Begin by making yourself comfortable by either sitting or laying down.
Eye Roll Induction
1. Start with at least 3-4 releasing breaths, in and out through your nose. You may notice your breath slowing and deepening with each breath as you soften into a natural rhythm. As you breath slows and deepens your mind will follow.
2. When you feel settled, as you take a deep breath in, roll your eyes up as if looking up to your forehead while keeping your head and chin level and still.
3. Hold your breath for a few seconds, and then close your eye lids with your eyes still raised.
4. As you exhale through your nose, your eye lids remain closed, let your eyeballs roll down, returning to their normal position. Simply note what you feel. It might be a deepening sense of relaxation, tingling, warmth, eye muscles relaxing, your jaw letting go…
5. Allow the relaxation to flow down through your body as you imagine yourself “floating downward”; gently, safely, comfortably.
You can also deepen this level of self-hypnosis by imagining “floating down” through levels; these might be an image of going down a staircase, elevator, down through your chakras with each level more relaxing than the one before.
Now, in this relaxed state, repeat the positive suggestions you have prepared. Use all your senses (seeing, hearing, touching, tasting, smelling) to imagine yourself as if already having your successful outcome now. At first you might see yourself as you have stepped out of your body and you are watching you doing things, behaving in a certain way as if in a movie. That’s fine. You can watch these changes and when you feel ready you can step into the new you. Or you might be sensing yourself as if you are looking out through your own eyes and and you are noticing how the world looks, feels and people respond to the new you. Make your imagery as vivid and real as you can.
Step 3: Coming out:
When finished repeating your suggestions and visualizing your successful outcome, it is now time to emerge from the self- hypnotic state. To do so, just simply suggest to yourself that on the count of 3 you will open your eyes, fully aware, alert, and awake, feeling totally refreshed and able to safely resume your normal activities.
- Now begin the count: take a deep breath in and out and begin to stretch your arms and legs
- Become more aware of your surroundings, feeling refreshed and alert, notice the sounds around you and
- Open your eyes now, clear headed, aware, alert, awake, feeling energized and ready for a wonderful day!
I encourage you to practice self-hypnosis everyday: It’s free! It’s fast! It’s fun! And you get to choose when, how and what you will do! You are in control and you will be strengthening positive life-affirming neural pathways.